Written for high school students, undergraduates, and general readers, this book surveys the global rise of Communism. It begins with a timeline and narrative overview, which are followed by reference entries, primary source documents, and original argumentative essays on enduring issues related to Communism. The book first covers the earliest phases of the "Utopian Socialist" movement and the beginnings of Marxist theory. It then discusses the Russian Revolution of 1917; the creation of the Soviet Union; the regime of terror instituted by Stalin; the expansion of Communism during the years of the Cold War, particularly in Asia; and the Cuban Revolution and the regime of Fidel Castro. It also discusses the progression toward revolution among the European Satellite countries as it included the Hungarian Revolution of 1956, the Czech revolution of 1968, and the multiple revolutions from 1989-1991 that saw the collapse of the Soviet system and the Cold War.
weitere Ausgaben werden ermittelt
- Cover page
- Halftitle page
- Series page
- Title page
- Copyright page
- Alphabetical List of Entries
- Topical List of Entries
- How to Use This Book
- Historical Overview
- The Rise of Communism: A to Z
- Primary Documents
- THE COMMUNIST MANIFESTO Written by KARL MARX and FRIEDRICH ENGELS
- IMPERIALISM, THE HIGHEST STAGE OF CAPITALISM VLADIMIR LENIN
- â??THE APRIL THESESâ?? VLADIMIR LENIN
- THE CALL FOR A POPULAR FRONT AGAINST FASCISM Drafted as the â??Resolution of the Seventh World Congress of the Communist International,â?? August 1935
- STALINâ??S RESPONSE TO CHURCHILLâ??S IRON CURTAIN SPEECH JOSEPH STALIN
- CHAIRMAN MAO CALLS FOR A PEOPLEâ??S DEMOCRATIC DICTATORSHIP MAO ZEDONG
- ADDRESS TO THE KOREAN PEOPLE ON THE OCCASION OF THE LIBERATION OF PYONG YANG KIM IL-SUNG
- MANIFESTO OF THE SOUTH VIETNAM NATIONAL LIBERATION FRONT
- COMMUNICATION FROM NIKITA KHRUSHCHEV TO PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY DURING THE CUBAN MISSILE CRISIS
- THE SIXTEEN POINTS OF THE CULTURAL REVOLUTION
- Key Questions
- QUESTION 1: WAS COMMUNISM AN INHERENTLY FLAWED THEORETICAL CONCEPTION THAT WOULD INEVITABLY LEAD TO REPRESSIVE, TOTALITARIAN STATES, OR WAS IT A PROMISING THEORY TWISTED BY PARTICULAR INDIVIDUALS AND INSTITUTIONS MAKING COMMUNIST REGIMES PARTICULARLY REPRESSIVE AND VIOLENT?
- QUESTION 2: DID COMMUNISM PROVIDE A PARTICULARLY STRONG SYSTEM FOR THE RAPID ADVANCEMENT OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, OR WAS SUCH DEVELOPMENT IMPEDED BY THE COMMUNIST SYSTEM AND INEVITABLY DOOMED TO LAG BEHIND THE DEMOCRATIC/CAPITALIST STATES?
- QUESTION 3: WERE COLD WAR FEARS ABOUT THE COMMUNISTSâ?? INTENTIONS AND MEANS FOR THE CONTINUAL SPREAD OF COMMUNISM AND EVENTUAL WORLD DOMINATION JUSTIFIED ON THE PART OF THE WESTERN DEMOCRACIES?
- Selected Annotated Bibliography