This book examines film as a multimodal text and an audiovisual synthesis, bringing together current work within the fields of narratology, philosophy, multimodal analysis, sound as well as cultural studies in order to cover a wide range of international academic interest. The book provides new insights into current work and turns the discussion towards recent research questions and analyses, representing and constituting in each contribution new work in the discipline of film text analysis. With the help of various example analyses, all showing the methodological applicability of the discussed issues, the collection provides novel ways of considering film as one of the most complex and at the same time broadly comprehensible texts.
Janina Wildfeuer is a Researcher in Multimodal Linguistics in the Linguistics Department of the University of Bremen, Germany, specializing in multimodal linguistics and media studies. Her recent publications include a monograph on Film Discourse Interpretation from 2014 as well as an edited collection of papers building bridges for multimodal research (2015).
John A. Bateman is a Full Professor of Applied Linguistics in the English and Linguistics Departments of the University of Bremen, Germany, specializing in functional, computational and multimodal linguistics. His recent publications include monographs on Multimodal Film Analysis (2012) as well as on the Text and Image divide (2014).
1. Introduction: Bringing Together New Perspectives of Film Text Analysis
John A. Bateman and Janina Wildfeuer
2. Towards a Semiotics of Film Lighting
Theo van Leeuwen and Morten Boeriis
3. Editing Space as an Audio-Visual Composition
4. Movie Physics or Dynamic Patterns as the Skeleton of Movies
5. From Visual Narrative Grammar to Filmic Narrative Grammar: The Narrative Structure of Static and Moving Images
6. From Text to Recipient: Pragmatic Insights for Filmic Meaning Construction
7. Intermediality in Film: A Blending-Based Perspective
John A. Bateman
8. Eat, Pray, Love: Expanding Adaptations and Global Tourism
9. Conclusion: Film Text Analysis - A New Beginning?
Janina Wildfeuer and John A. Bateman
"The first collection to give an overview of the field of film text analysis including a wide variety of approaches, methodological advances and in-depth analyses hinting at the possibilities of multimodality studies for film." - Florian Mundhenke, University of Leipzig, Germany