Carry out the pre-planning, design, and programming of role playing games (RPGs) using the popular GameMaker: Studio in this very practical and fun book. Author Ben Tyers teaches you how to create a story or plotline for the RPG, apply aesthetics, and develop core and extended gameplay.
Using Learn RPGs in GameMaker: Studio, you can design and build your own RPG using the GameMaker: Studio platform. Build your first game application and deploy in an app store, on Facebook, or just on a PC. Maybe, even, make a few bucks.
What You'll Learn
- Use the GameMaker: Studio platform to design and build a role playing game
- Create a story for game design purposes, using a plot line and defining characters
- Discover the impact of aesthetics on art style, character separation, scene development, sound design and views
- Master core gameplay elements such as battles, exploration, scoring, and endings
- Work with extended gameplay elements such as collectibles, quirks, management, and saving
- Employ the various core and extended gameplay elements as appropriate to your RPG
Who This Book Is For
Game designers or developers looking to design and build their first role playing game using the GameMaker: Studio platform.
1. Introduction2. Alert Text Effect3. Battle System4 Boss Character's Battle5. Branching Dialogue6. Coin System Shop7. CutScene8. Depth Based Graphics9. Downloading Bonus Levels From Website10. Drivable Vehicles11. Enemy Path Finding12. Foot Step Sounds13. Hints & Tips14. HUD15. Inventory16. Invincibility17. Mini-Quests18. Multiple Locations 19. Positional Audio20. Respawn Points21. Usable Items22. Weapon Control23. Zooming24. Destructible Terrain25. Dashing26. Quest Completion27. Road Builder28. Character Progression29. Party Mechanics30. Day / Night Cycle31. Puzzle Room32. Treasure Hunting33. Card Battle34. Graphical Effects35. Random Level Generation36. Fishing Mini Game37. Ship Mini Game38. Dice Rolling39. Mini Game & Dual View40. Game End41. Saving