What to Expect When You're Expected to Teach Gifted Students is a practical, easy-to-read guide that:
- Reviews expectations versus likely classroom realities that first-time gifted teachers may face.
- Includes real-world advice for navigating the joys, surprises, and frustrations.
- Addresses specific topics related to gifted education, including students' social-emotional needs.
- Includes considerations for choosing appropriate curricular materials and working with parents and families.
- Features ways to advocate for gifted and advanced programming and tips for continued professional learning.
In each chapter, readers dive into issues that are frequently cited as challenges for new gifted teachers and emerge equipped with resources and strategies to build a successful classroom that meets the needs of high-ability students. This book is perfect for any teacher new to the field of gifted education.
Kari Lee Townsend lives in Central New York with her very understanding husband, her three busy boys, and her oh-so-dramatic daughter, who keep her grounded. Kari has a masters in English Education and has been both a winner and finalist in several online writing contests, including the Amazon Breakout Novel Contest.