Promoting Rigor Through Higher Level Questioning equips teachers with effective questioning strategies and:
- Challenges students to think critically, as well as explore their curiosity and imagination.
- Explores the power of questioning to transform the classroom.
- Utilizes Bloom's taxonomy as the key to formulating higher level questions.
- Includes questioning strategies for students' assignments, assessments, day-to-day activities, and classroom discussions.
- Helps make lively, in-depth dialogue the norm.
Teachers must create a culture in which students expect and can engage in rigorous, higher level questioning and discussions, and are comfortable enough that they can ask those questions of one another and themselves.
Todd Stanley has written many teacher education books, including "Project-Based Learning for Gifted Students" and "Promoting Rigor Through Higher Level Questioning." He served as a classroom teacher for 18 years and is currently the gifted services coordinator for Pickerington Schools, OH. He also is an adjunct professor at the University of Cincinnati.