Discover more than 100 down-to-earth code recipes, covering a wide range of useful topics using complete and real-world working code examples. This book is updated to include the Android N SDK (7.0), as well as earlier releases.
Crammed with insightful instruction and helpful examples, this fifth edition of Android Recipes is your guide to writing apps for one of today's hottest mobile platforms. It offers pragmatic advice that will help you get the job done quickly and well. This can save you a great deal of work over creating a project from scratch.
Instead of abstract descriptions of complex concepts, in Android Recipes you'll find live code examples. When you start a new project you can consider copying and pasting the code and configuration files from this book and then modifying them for your own customization needs.
What You'll Learn
Who This Book Is For
- Code for Android smartphones and tablets
- Use external libraries to save time and effort
- Boost app performance by using the Android NDK and RenderScript
- Design apps for performance, responsiveness, and seamlessness
- Send data between devices and other external hardware
- Persist application data and share it between applications
- Capture and play back various device media items
- Communicate with web services
- Get the most out of your user interface
All Android app developers.
Dave Smith is a professional engineer developing hardware and software for mobile and embedded platforms. Dave's engineering efforts are currently focused full-time on Android and iOS development. Since 2009, Dave has worked on developing at all levels of the Android platform, from writing user applications using the software development kit, to building and customizing the Android source code.
Chapter 1: Layouts and ViewsChapter 2: User InteractionChapter 3: Communications and NetworkingChapter 4: Interacting with Device Hardware and MediaChapter 5: Persisting DataChapter 6: Interacting with the SystemChapter 7: Graphics and DrawingChapter 8: Working with Android NDK and Renderscript