The definitive guide to writing scenes--now revised and expanded!
Scenes are the building blocks for any work of fiction--the DNA sequence that makes a novel un-put-downable and unforgettable. When writers are able to craft effective, engaging scenes, they can develop a complete, cohesive story--and a mesmerizing experience for readers.Make a Scene Revised and Expanded Edition
takes you step-by-step through the elements of strong scene construction and demonstrates how the essential aspects of a compelling story--including character, plot and dramatic tension--function within the framework of individual scenes to give momentum to the whole narrative. You'll learn how to:
- Craft an opening scene that hooks readers and foreshadows conflict.
- Develop various scene types--from contemplative to suspenseful to flashback--that are distinct and purposeful.
- Establish characters' intentions within a scene that drive the plot.
- Transition into new scenes by clearly establishing details of setting, character, and point of view.
- Create resonating climactic and final scenes that stay with readers long after they've finished your story.
The revised and expanded edition includes brand-new examples, an increased focus on advancing plot and character development, and the same knowledge and clarity that writers have come to expect from Jordan Rosenfeld. Make a Scene
is an essential part of any novelist's library--make sure it's in yours.
Jordan Rosenfeld is the author of the suspense novels Women in Red, Forged in Grace, and Night Oracle, as well as the writing guides Writing Deep Scenes, co-authored with Martha Alderson; A Writer's Guide to Persistence; Make a Scene; and Write Free, co-authored with Rebecca Lawton.