The Social Organization sheds light on how social media usage is transforming the way organizations make sense of their identity and processes. By adopting a human capital perspective and merging research from communication studies and management, it argues that social media could be fruitfully exploited by organizations as a competitive advantage.
Dr. Amelia Manuti is a senior researcher and Assistant Professor in Work and Organizational Psychology at the University of Bari, Italy. Her main research interests include the meaning of working in school-to-university and university-to-work transitions, vocational guidance, formal and informal learning, organizational identification, work values and organizational communication. She is author of several articles and publications on these topics. She is a member of the European Network of Work and Organizational Psychologists and of the International Association of Applied Psychology. She is also an active member of the Italian Association of Psychology and of Collaborative Knowledge Building Group. Since 2007 she has been secretary for the International Association of Applied Psycholinguistics.
Pasquale Davide de Palma is founder and CEO at Das HumanKapital which was placed sixth in the International Leadership Partner and Provider at Leadership 500 Awards 2015. Pasquale Davide is an expert in Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Social Recruiting and Social Human Capital. Pasquale's interests are focused on human capital management with particular emphasis on promoting the use of human capital financial statements within organizations. He is the editor of Why Human Capital is important for organization (Palgrave MacMillan, 2014) and The social organization: Managing human capital throught social media (Palgrave MacMillan, 2015).
Introduction; John Burgoyne, Professor of Management Learning University of Lancaster
1. Human capital re-loaded: the use of social media in human resource management; Maria Cesaria Giordano, Amelia Manuti & Pasquale Davide de Palma
2. Communicating the "social" organization: Social media and organizational communication; Amelia Manuti
3. Enhancing human capital through social media: Promoting skills and learning through technology; Amelia Manuti, Maria Antonietta Impedovo & Pasquale Davide de Palma
4. Managing "Social" Human Resources: talent management in the "social" organization; Amelia Manuti
5. From theory to (good) practices. Human capital and social media according to human resource managers; Pasquale Davide de Palma & Amelia Manuti
Conclusion; Amelia Manuti & Pasquale Davide de Palma