You're straddling the pitcher's mound in Shea Stadium. The game rests in your hands. Your heart is pounding. Big money is at stake. You feel thousands of eyes burning your jersey as they wait for a pitch. You gulp at the air trying to settle your nerves. It's go time.
Insight Pitch is a sports story that spills over three decades. Retired Major League Baseball pitcher Skip Lockwood tells anecdotes from throughout his career as a ballplayer, starting with his days as a Little Leaguer through his professional tenure with the Kansas City Athletics, Seattle Pilots, Milwaukee Brewers, California Angels, New York Mets, and Boston Red Sox, before his retirement in 1980. Along the way, he details both the on- and off-the-field shenanigans as well as the enormous psychological process that he underwent each and every time he took the mound.
Readers will find some laughs along the way and marvel as they share the locker room with legends like Jesse Owens, Satchel Paige, Catfish Hunter, and Yogi Berra.
Humorous but insightful, this book makes the perfect addition to any baseball fan's shelf.
weitere Ausgaben werden ermittelt
Skip Lockwood enjoyed a professional baseball career from 1965 to 1980, most of which time he spent pitching for the Milwaukee Brewers (1970-73) and the New York Mets (1975-79). Pursuing his longtime interest in game-day visualization and mental preparations, he proceeded to earn a Masters Degree from Fairfield University and another Masters in Science from MIT as a Sloan Fellow. In the following years, he continued to study and practice in the field of Sport Psychology. Today, he makes frequent appearances and delights audiences with humorous behind-the-scenes baseball stories and inspirational messages of how elite athletes excel despite unyielding pressure.
- Title Page
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1. Little League Tryouts
- Chapter 2. New York Mets Rubber Game, September 28, 1975
- Chapter 3. The Disabled List, July 1952
- Chapter 4. Welcome to Shea Stadium, 1975
- Chapter 5. Longball: Polo Grounds, 1962
- Chapter 6. Moneyball, 1964
- Chapter 7. An Unwelcoming Welcome to the Show
- Chapter 8. The Boonies: Burlington, Iowa, 1964
- Chapter 9. Running on Empty: Bradenton, Florida, 1965
- Chapter 10. Kansas City Here I Come, 1965
- Chapter 11. 1966 Changeups
- Chapter 12. Pitching In
- Chapter 13. Strike One . . . Players' Strike, 1972
- Chapter 14. Moving On
- Chapter 15. New York, New York, 1975
- Chapter 16. The Last Hurrah
- Epilogue: Fenway Park's Centennial Celebration and Player Reunion, 2012