This book describes the contributions of twenty-two educators and events that have shaped the field of education, often receiving little to no public recognition, including: Edmonia Godelle Highgate, Nannie Helen Burroughs, Selena Sloan Butler, Alonzo Aristotle Crim, Sabbath Schools, and African American Boarding Schools. These individuals and events have established and sustained education in communities across the United States. This book will help foster a renewed sense of importance both for those considering teaching and for teachers in classrooms across the country.
Andrea D. Lewis is Associate Professor and Chair of the Education Department at Spelman College, USA. Her research interests include teacher preparation, race and social class in schools, and the history of school segregation.
Nicole A. Taylor is Associate Professor in the Education Department at Spelman College, USA. Her research interests include family engagement in literacy practices among culturally diverse families and the preparation of teacher candidates to effectively teach reading to children from culturally and linguistically diverse families.
1. Introduction, Nicole A. Taylor and Andrea D. Lewis
2. Nannie Helen Burroughs (1883-1961), Meredith Brown and Nicole A. Taylor
3. Selena Sloan Butler (1872-1964), Sydney Phillips and Nicole A. Taylor
4. Fannie C. Williams (1882-1980), Kiara Thorpe and Nicole A. Taylor
5. Frederick Douglas Patterson (1901-1988), Miracle Harris, Phelina Robinson, Tierra Wright, and Nicole A. Taylor
6. The Jeans Teacher Fund (1908-1960s), Cydni Burton, Nu'Nauvia Peacock, Phelina Robinson, and Nicole A. Taylor
7. Frances Brock Starms (1914-2012), Kaylah Holmes and Andrea D. Lewis
8. John Henrik Clarke (1915-1998), Chateé Omísadé Richardson and Najhala Hall
9. Christine King Farris (1927-Present), Seana Deas and Andrea D. Lewis
10. Alonzo Aristotle Crim (1928-2000), Jordyn Booth and Andrea D. Lewis
11. Asa Grant Hilliard, III (1933-2007), Jaela Stayton and Chateé Omísadé Richardson
12. Amos Wilson (1940-1995), Kiara Thorpe and Andrea D. Lewis
13. Gloria Jean Merriex (1950-2008), L. Nzingha Samuel and Seana Deas
14. Court Cases Preceding Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Mikia Frazier and Andrea D. Lewis
15. Sit Ins/March on Washington/SNCC, Chloe White and Nicole A. Taylor
16. Birmingham Children's Crusade of 1963, Najhala Hall and Andrea D. Lewis
17. The Atlanta Compromise, Nia Bester and Andrea D. Lewis
18. Institute for Colored Youth (1837), Nicole A. Taylor
19. Normal School for Colored Girls (1851), Kamaria Excell and Andrea D. Lewis
20. Sabbath Schools, Kyran Brooks and Nicole A. Taylor
21. Intercommunal Youth Institute, Jade Lockard and Andrea D. Lewis
22. African American Boarding Schools, JonBonaé Shipman and Nicole A. Taylor
23. Day Nurseries, Nursery Schools, and their Impact on Society, Kamaria Excell and Andrea D. Lewis
24. Conclusion, Christal Walker, Andrea D. Lewis, and Nicole A. Taylor.