Visceral Leishmaniasis: Therapeutics and Vaccines describes current therapeutics, natural anti-leishmanial molecules, anti-leishmanial screening, and explores vaccine candidates and amastigote-based vaccination strategies for Leishmania. The book provides a precise view on VL, Leishmania parasite culture, host immunity and immunomodulation, natural compounds effective against VL, animal models for VL, and methodologies available for anti-leishmanial drug screening procedures against VL, as well as vaccine and vaccination-related information on Leishmaniasis. Readers will find concrete information on past and current hurdles facing vaccine development for Leishmania, along with scientific opportunities and the potential impact of vaccines, including problems encountered.
The book is designed to increase the understanding of vaccines, particularly in VL, for students and researchers. Although vaccines are now available for many diseases, there are still challenges ahead for a vaccine for VL. The ideal vaccine must be safe and able to induce an immune response that is strong and effective. In a nutshell, a combination of chemotherapy (drugs) and immunoprophylaxis (vaccine) would be ideal to win the battle against VL.
- Provides the first dedicated book on Visceral Leishmaniasis (VL) and anti-leishmanial screening
- Covers major aspects of the fatal disease Visceral Leishmaniasis
- Provides plenty of illustrations and figures
- Includes methods of anti-leishmanial drug screening
- Expands the perspective of readers on the complex problem of drug screening
Dr. Awanish Kumar is currently Associate Professor at the National Institute of Technology. He has a PhD in Biotechnology from the McGill University,. Canada. He is the editor of 8 books, 18 book chapters and 124 journal articles. He has 12 years of research experience and 8 years of teaching experience.
1. Visceral leishmaniasis: An overview 2. Maintenance of Leishmania parasite 3. Host immunity and immunomodulation 4. VL and natural products 5. Antileishmanial drug screening 6. Vaccine and Vaccination 7. Different vaccination approaches for development of vaccine 8. Adjuvants 9. Vaccine delivery system 10. Routes of vaccination 11. Animal models for VL 12. Vaccination approaches for VL 13. Current status in Leishmania vaccine and problems to be solved 14. Amastigote based vaccine: Silver lining in Leishmaniasis