Plan, Prepare, React, and Get Ahead Of Any Crisis-In Real Time!
Your business or organization will face a crisis. That's a fact. Here's another: Thanks to social media, crises happen more often and accelerate out of control faster-much faster.
So...what's your crisis communications plan?
Don't have one? Let's fix that. Now. This book gives you a crisis communications blueprint that's fast, flexible, realistic, complete, and doable.
You'll learn how to successfully defend yourself using the same social tools others are using against you. You'll see what works (and doesn't). You'll learn from folks who've been there and lived to talk about it: leaders who've been forced to execute their own crisis plans in the most brutally tough situations.
When that crisis comes, you'll own this book. You'll be ready. You'll survive. You will win.
- Understand the radically new dynamics of today's crises
- Anticipate what might happen, so you can get ahead of any crisis
- Establish crisis response roles, teams, and notification/activation processes
- Use free and low-cost services to monitor online chatter for signs of trouble
- Respond in real time, before your crisis escalates
- Calibrate your response to the realities of what's happening
- Effectively integrate social media best practices throughout your response
- Avoid the disastrous mistakes panicked organizations often make
- Regain control of your organization's identity across the web
Ann Marie van den Hurk, owner of Mind the Gap Public Relations, is an award winning PRSA-accredited hybrid counselor bridging the gap between traditional PR and social media. She has over a decade of intensive experience assisting businesses and non-profits in leading on sensitive issues, crisis communications, reputation management, and navigating Web 2.0/PR 2.0. Her business column for the Lexington (KY) Herald-Leader focuses on business PR, marketing, and social media. Van den Hurk previously served as VP, Communications and Advocacy for the Girl Scouts of the Chesapeake Bay Council.
Chapter 1: What Is a Crisis?
Chapter 2: The Social Platforms
Chapter 3: New Dynamics in Social and Crisis Communications
Chapter 4: Organizations Doing It Right
Chapter 5: How Not to Handle a Social Media Crisis
Chapter 6: Creating a Crisis Communications Plan
Chapter 7: Integrating Social Media into the Crisis Communications Plan
Chapter 8: When a Crisis Hits
Chapter 9: Recovering from a Crisis
Chapter 10: Tying It All Together
Appendix A: Communication Response Steps
Appendix B: Quick List of Providers Mentioned in Book