Games and Sporting Events in History offers a broad global perspective on sports and games in Europe, North America, Africa, and Asia. A diverse set of topics covers education, medicine, therapy, body culture, gender, race, cross cultural flow, and political issues from the late nineteenth century throughout the twentieth century, offering new insights into previously little researched areas of scholarship relating to physical activity and sport. Such works take a new look at old issues with continued relevance to current works. The use of sports as a political tool are prominent in studies persistent to national and international relations; while other investigations cover the sociocultural discourse of the past relative to bodies and physical performances that continue to resonate in modern times. This book was previously published as a special issue of the International Journal of the History of Sport.
Annette Hofmann, Professor of Sports Studies at Ludwigsburg University of Education, ISHPES President, Academic Editor Europe of the IJHS. She has recently edited Gertrud: Global Scholar - Global SpiritI (2015) and License to Jump: A Story of Women¿s Ski Jumping (2015).
Gerald Gems, Professor of Health and Physical Education at North Central College in Naperville, IL USA; past president of NASSH, current vice-president of ISHPES.
Maureen Smith, Professor in the Department of Kinesiology and Health Science at California State University, Sacramento, Smith is an active member in the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport, a past president of the North American Society for Sport History, and a Vice President of the International Society for the History of Physical Education and Sport.
Annette R. Hofmann, Gerald Gems and Maureen Smith
1. Revisiting (and Revising?) Sports Boycotts: From Rugby against South Africa to Soccer in Israel
2. Re-Entering the Sporting World: China's Sponsorship of the 1963 Games of the New Emerging Forces (GANEFO)
3. Opening a Window on Early Twentieth-Century School Sport in Cape Town Society
Francois J. Cleophas
4. On the Margins: Therapeutic Massage, Physical Education and Physical Therapy Defining a Profession
5. Discourses on the Production of the Athletic Lean Body in Central Europe around 1900
6. Women Boxers: Actresses to Athletes - The Role of Vaudeville in Early Women's Boxing in the USA
Gerald Gems and Gertrud Pfister
7. British Cultural Influence and Japan: Elizabeth Phillips Hughes's Visit for Educational Research in 1901 - 1902