This book has been developed with an intellectual framework to focus on the challenges and specific qualities applicable to graduates on the threshold of their careers. Young professionals have to establish their competence in complying with multifaceted sets of ethical, environmental, social, and technological parameters. This competence has a vital impact on the curricula of higher education programs, because professional bodies today rely on accredited degrees as the main route for membership.
Consequently, this four-part book makes a suitable resource for a two-semester undergraduate course in professional practice and career development in universities and colleges. With its comprehensive coverage of a large variety of topics, each part of the book can be used as a reference for other related courses where sustainability, leadership, systems thinking and professional practice are evident and increasingly visible.
- Identifies the values that are unique to the engineering and computing professions, and promotes a general understanding of what it means to be a member of a profession
- Explains how ethical and legal considerations play a role in engineering practice
- Discusses the importance of professional communication and reflective practice to a range of audiences
- Presents the practices of leadership, innovation, entrepreneurship, safety and sustainability in engineering design
- Analyzes and discusses the contemporary practices of project management, artificial intelligence, and professional career development.
Riadh Habash is an engineering educator and researcher at the University of Ottawa,Canada. The author of several books and research papers, he is the recipient of the National Wighton Fellowship and five university interdisciplinary initiatives awards. He has taught for more than 35 years at various universities worldwide. He has initiated learning activities that provide a learning environment for inquiring minds through collaboration with industry to develop student design projects and entrepreneurial activities.
1. Composite Professional. 2. Professionalism in Practice. 3. Legal Systems Relevant to Engineering and Information Technology. 4. Leadership Practice.5. Effective Communication Skills. 6. Professional Practice in Reflection. 7. Creativity and Innovation. 8. Engineering Risk and Safety in Engineering Desi n. 9. Sustainable Design. 10. Contemporary Issues in Management. 11. Digital Transformation and AI. 12. Career Development