Now in its second edition, this reader-friendly text offers a comprehensive treatment of concepts and knowledge related to teaching second language (L2) listening, with a particular emphasis on metacognition.
This book advocates a learner-oriented approach to teaching listening that focuses on the process of learning to listen. It applies theories of metacognition and language comprehension to offer sound and reliable pedagogical models for developing learner listening inside and outside the classroom. To bridge theory and practice, the book provides teachers with many examples of research-informed activities to help learners understand and manage cognitive, social, and affective processes in listening.
Comprehensively updated with new research and references, the new edition includes additional and expanded discussions of many topics, including metacognition in young learners, working memory, and a L2 listening systems model. It remains an essential text on L2 listening pedagogy, theory, and research.
Christine C. M. Goh is President's Chair Professor in Education (Linguistics and Language Education) at the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Larry Vandergrift was Professor Emeritus from the Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Ottawa, Canada.
Part 1: Second Language Listening Theory and Research
1. Teaching Listening and Learning to Listen
2. Listening Competence
3. A Cognitive Model of Listening Comprehension
4. Factors that Influence Listening Success
Part 2: Metacognition and Learning to Listen
5. A Metacognitive Approach to Listening Instruction
6. A Metacognitive Pedagogical Sequence
7. Activities for Metacognitive Instruction
Part 3: Developing Listening Competence
8. Perception and Word Segmentation
9. Task-Based Listening Lessons
10. Integrated Projects for Extensive Listening
11. Listening with Technology
12. Assessing Listening for Learning
Epilogue: Synthesis of Issues Related to Teaching and Learning Listening