John Foxe (1517-1587) was an English historian and martyrologist. He early became a Protestant and, when Mary Tudor became queen, he fled from England to Strasbourg, France. There, he occupied himself with a Latin history of the Christian persecutions and he printed, in Latin, the first part of his history of the persecution of Protestant reformers. "Foxe's Book of Martyrs" is an account of Christian martyrs throughout Western history, emphasizing the sufferings of English Protestants and proto-Protestants from the fourteenth century through the reign of Mary I. The book helped mold British popular opinion about the Catholic Church for several centuries as it was widely owned and read by English Puritans. During Elizabeth's reign, this book was highly celebrated and even became required reading. It was placed in churches and reprinted in shorter editions so that many households possessed a copy.
||Neeland Media LLC
weitere Ausgaben werden ermittelt
- Title page
- CHAPTER I. HISTORY OF CHRISTIAN MARTYRS TO THE FIRST GENERAL PERSECUTION UNDER NERO.
- CHAPTER II. THE TEN PRIMITIVE PERSECUTIONS.
- CHAPTER III. PERSECUTIONS OF THE CHRISTIANS IN PERSIA.
- CHAPTER IV. PAPAL PERSECUTIONS.
- CHAPTER V. AN ACCOUNT OF THE INQUISITION.
- CHAPTER VI. AN ACCOUNT OF THE PERSECUTION IN ITALY, UNDER THE PAPACY.
- CHAPTER VII. AN ACCOUNT OF THE PERSECUTIONS IN BOHEMIA UNDER THE PAPACY.
- CHAPTER VIII. PERSECUTIONS IN GERMANY.
- CHAPTER IX. AN ACCOUNT OF THE PERSECUTIONS IN LITHUANIA AND POLAND.
- CHAPTER X. AN ACCOUNT OF THE PERSECUTIONS IN CHINA AND SEVERAL OTHER COUNTRIES.
- CHAPTER XI. AN ACCOUNT OF THE PERSECUTIONS IN GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND, PRIOR TO THE REIGN OP QUEEN MARY I.
- CHAPTER XII. AN ACCOUNT OF THE PERSECUTION IN SCOTLAND DURING THE REIGN OF KING HENRY VIII.
- CHAPTER XIII. PERSECUTIONS IN ENGLAND DURING THE REIGN OF QUEEN MARY.
- CHAPTER XIV. THE SPANISH ARMADA
- CHAPTER XV. RISE AND PROGRESS OF THE PROTESTANT RELIGION IN IRELAND
- WITH AN ACCOUNT OF THE BARBAROUS MASSACRE OF 1641.
- CHAPTER XVI. THE RISE, PROGRESS, PERSECUTIONS, AND SUFFERINGS OF THE QUAKERS.
- CHAPTER XVII. PERSECUTIONS OF THE FRENCH PROTESTANTS IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE, DURING THE YEARS 1814 AND 1820.
- CHAPTER XVIII. ASAAD SHIDIAK.
- CHAPTER XIX. PERSECUTIONS OF THE BAPTIST MISSIONARIES IN INDIA, DURING THE YEAR 1824.
- CHAPTER XX. PERSECUTION OF THE WESLEYAN MISSIONARIES IS THE WEST INDIES.
- CHAPTER XXI. PERSECUTIONS IN SWITZERLAND FROM 1813 TO 1830.
- CHAPTER XXII. SKETCHES OF THE LIVES OF SOME OF THE MOST EMINENT REFORMERS.
- CHAPTER XXIII. SKETCH OF THE FRENCH REVOLUTION OF 1789, AS CONNECTED WITH THE HISTORY OF PERSECUTION.
Dewey Decimal Classfication (DDC)