Data Breach Preparation and Response: Breaches are Certain, Impact is Not is the first book to provide 360 degree visibility and guidance on how to proactively prepare for and manage a data breach and limit impact. Data breaches are inevitable incidents that can disrupt business operations and carry severe reputational and financial impact, making them one of the largest risks facing organizations today. The effects of a breach can be felt across multiple departments within an organization, who will each play a role in effectively managing the breach. Kevvie Fowler has assembled a team of leading forensics, security, privacy, legal, public relations and cyber insurance experts to create the definitive breach management reference for the whole organization.
- Discusses the cyber criminals behind data breaches and the underground dark web forums they use to trade and sell stolen data
- Features never-before published techniques to qualify and discount a suspected breach or to verify and precisely scope a confirmed breach
- Helps identify your sensitive data, and the commonly overlooked data sets that, if stolen, can result in a material breach
- Defines breach response plan requirements and describes how to develop a plan tailored for effectiveness within your organization
- Explains strategies for proactively self-detecting a breach and simplifying a response
- Covers critical first-responder steps and breach management practices, including containing a breach and getting the scope right, the first time
- Shows how to leverage threat intelligence to improve breach response and management effectiveness
- Offers guidance on how to manage internal and external breach communications, restore trust, and resume business operations after a breach, including the critical steps after the breach to reduce breach-related litigation and regulatory fines
- Illustrates how to define your cyber-defensible position to improve data protection and demonstrate proper due diligence practices
Kevvie is a Partner and National Cyber Response Leader for KPMG Canada and has over 19 years of IT security and forensics experience. Kevvie assists clients in identifying and protecting critical data and proactively preparing for, responding to and recovering from incidents in a manner that minimizes impact and interruption to their business.
Kevvie is a globally recognized cyber security and forensics expert who in addition to author of Data Breach Preparation and Response is author of SQL Server Forensic Analysis and contributing author to several security and forensics books. He is an instructor who trains law enforcement agencies on cyber forensic and response practices. His cyber forensics research has been incorporated into formal course curriculum within industry and academic institutions including ISC2 and the University of Abertay Dundee. Credited with advancing the field of digital forensic science, Kevvie is a SANS lethal forensicator and sits on the SANS Advisory Board where he guides the direction of emerging security and forensics research.
As a sought after speaker, Kevvie has engaged executive and technical audiences at leading conferences and events including Black Hat, SECTOR, OWASP and the HTCIA and is a resource to the media with features on-air and in print within leading television, news and industry publications including The Business News Network, The Globe and Mail and Information Security and SC magazine.