ACCOUNTABILITY IS THE CATALYST THAT IGNITES: Accelerated Change, Robust Employee Engagement, Intensified Ownership, Relentless Perseverance, Impeccable Alignment, and propels individuals, teams and organizations to desired results.
Accountability crumbles silos, boosts teamwork and collaboration, strengthens camaraderie, creativity, resiliency, agility, trust, and communication
Achieve with Accountability presents a recipe for awakening the whatever it takes attitude to achieve what matters most to individuals, teams and organizations. Discover how to transform accountability into a positive, engaging and forward looking experience that will secure your position in the new world of work. Learn how to kick-start a revolution that will blast your team or organization to new heights of success. We are in a brawl with no rules, where the fast, flexible and agile will eat and spit out the slow, over-thinking and complacent. When you relinquish accountability you place your future in the hands of other people or events. It's only by taking accountability and ownership for our circumstances that we can achieve what matters most. Embrace the accountability fundamentals that have helped individuals, teams and organizations for years to achieve and exceed what matters most.
With the world coming at us fast and furious every day, it's easy to feel like you've lost control of your own life, your team or your organization. By choosing to take and lead accountability you reclaim control and are able to direct your own destiny.
* Develop the agility, flexibility and resiliency to adapt and thrive during constant change
* Foster a can-do, resolute, solutions focus in the face of difficult challenges, obstacles and barriers
* Eradicate the blame-game and vanquish excuse-making that stifles peak performance
* Shed feelings of disarray, discomfort, apathy, entitlement, indifference and despair
* Take control over your circumstances and achieve what matters most
* Unleash voluntary contributions of discretionary performance that is often left untapped in individuals, teams and organizations
* Establish unshakable trust and credibility
Accountability is a current that feeds into the slipstream of success. Your performance, your decisions, and your results are all your responsibility; when you operate from that premise, magic happens. Achieve with Accountability shows you how to nourish that can-do mindset, so you can begin to achieve what matters most.
weitere Ausgaben werden ermittelt
MIKE EVANS is the Executive Vice President of QuestMark. He has served in senior leadership and consulting roles with Kotter International, FranklinCovey, and Tom Peters Company. He has developed a unique perspective from working alongside a star studded list of world-renowned thought leaders, including Dr. John Kotter, Dr. Stephen Covey, Tom Peters, Jim Kouzes, Hyrum Smith, Steve Farber and Chris McChesney. He consults with senior teams, delivers keynote speeches, facilitates custom workshops and provides coaching and consulting on a variety of subject areas, including Personal and Organizational Accountability, Change Leadership, Culture Shaping, Flawless Execution and Exemplary Leadership.
The Author xi
Resources, Solutions, and Workshops xiii
Preface: Taking Accountability xv
Chapter 1 Taking Accountability 1
Positively the Best Decision 1
Take Accountability or Blame? The Stakes Are High 5
The Magic of Taking Accountability 6
The Rewards of Taking Accountability 10
Accountability Accelerator 11
Shine the Spotlight on the One and Only 15
An Unexpected and Illuminating Discovery 19
Do They Know the Rules of the Game? 21
Chapter 2 Choices 35
Decisions Determine Destiny 35
Stay the Course--Avoid Drowning "Below the Water" 39
Beware of the Bell 43
Leading Accountability--It Is a Choice, and Everyone's Job 46
Where Do They Learn Those Things? 49
Words Are Cheap--The Actions We Choose Are What Matters 52
The Enemies: Justifications, Explanations, Reasons, Rationalizations, Vindications, and Excuses 54
Why Did Randy Cross the Road? 56
Chapter 3 Accountability--What Is It? 67
Once Defined, It Flows 67
Are You Fully Recognizing Your Realities? 74
The Eyes Have It 76
Have You Accepted Ownership for Your Realities? 78
Yoda--The Accountability Coach 81
Lessons from Hyrum 83
Solutions Abound 86
The Obvious Next Step 90
Chapter 4 Accountability Transcends 97
Powerful Shift in Perception 97
Cement the Focus 100
The Magical Mindset Shift 103
Lessons from the Marauders 106
Accountability Trumps Responsibility 109
To LAG or to LEAD 111
Chapter 5 The Preeminent Organization 117
Accountability Is the Catalyst 117
Shaping an Accountable Culture 120
Ignite Desired Accountable Behaviors 122
The Power of Genuine Appreciation 127
Culture: How We Do Things Around Here 129
Forging an Accountable Culture: Little Things Matter--A Lot! 131
Are the Experiences in Your Culture Nurturing Accountability? 133
The Relationship Triad: Experiences, Beliefs and Actions 135
You Alone Are Accountable for How You Are Perceived 137
Sustaining an Accountable Culture: Tune-Ups Required 139
Accountability Tip: Do Not Shoulder Their Accountabilities 142
Do Not Dwell on Why: Keep Moving Forward 144
Accountability in Times of Change: Overcome Fear and Denial 146
The Pinnacle: The Accountable Organization 150
Live and Lead Accountably 161
Preface: Taking Accountability
If Not You, Who?
Accountability continues to be a topic high on the list of interests of executives and organizational leaders. What we find more interesting is that accountability is just as high on the list of what employees want from their peers. Everyone wants more!
Accountability is the catalyst to accelerated change, robust employee engagement, intensified ownership, relentless perseverance, impeccable alignment, and it propels individuals, teams, and organizations to intoxicating heights of achievement and success.
Accountability crumbles silos, boosts teamwork and collaboration, strengthens camaraderie, creativity, resiliency, agility, trust, and communication.
Achieve with Accountability presents a recipe for awakening the belief, resolve, confidence, perseverance, determination, can-do mindset, whatever-it-takes attitude, esprit de corps, drive, and creativity to achieve what matters most to individuals, teams, and organizations. Discover how to transform accountability into a positive, engaging, and forward-looking experience that will secure your position in the new world of work. Learn how to kick-start a revolution to achieve what matters most.
We are in a brawl with few rules, where the fast, flexible, and agile will eat and spit out the slow, over-thinking, and complacent. In the past, change was episodic, transient, and gradual; now, change is constant as business, technology, and society itself continue to evolve at an ever more rapid pace. Individuals, teams, and organizations that fail to adapt will find themselves vulnerable, uncomfortable, and at the mercy of other people, events, or the competition.
With the world coming at you fast and furious every day, it is easy to feel like you have lost control of your life, your team, or your organization. By choosing to take and lead accountability, you reclaim control and are able to direct your own destiny, as well as the fate of your team or organization. Accountability is a current that feeds into the slipstream of success. Your performance, your decisions, and your results are all within your control; when you operate from that premise, magic happens. You deliver like never before because you are personally invested in the outcome. Achieve with Accountability shows you how to nourish that can-do mindset so that you can start achieving what matters most. Accountability helps individuals, teams, and organizations
- Develop the agility, flexibility, and resiliency to adapt to constant change
- Adopt a can-do, solutions focus, and resolute mindset in the face of difficult challenges, obstacles, and barriers
- Eradicate the blame-game and excuse-making that stifles peak performance
- Strengthen collaboration and teamwork
- Shed feelings of disarray, discomfort, apathy, entitlement, cynicism, and despair
- Cultivate a sense of control over your circumstances to achieve what matters most
- Establish unshakable trust and credibility
- Unleash voluntary contributions of discretionary performance that is often left untapped in individuals, teams, and organizations
- Stimulate creativity and innovation
- Flawlessly execute crucial strategies
- Galvanize alignment and ownership
- Ignite a desire to learn, grow, and improve
Individuals, teams, and organizations that are mired in the blame-game, self-pity, excuse-making, cynicism, complacency, and apathy, and that lack alignment, engagement, and ownership to achieve what matters most, are in jeopardy. When you relinquish accountability, you place your future in the hands of fate. It is only by taking accountability and ownership for our circumstances that we can achieve what matters most. Today is the day to start owning your situation and take control-to orchestrate and realize the future you want.
Start believing in you, your team, and your organization. Embrace the accountability fundamentals that have helped individuals, teams, and organizations for years to achieve and reach beyond what they had believed was possible. The race is about to begin. Don't miss the starting gun while wallowing in the blame-game.
What Is Instigating the Call for More Accountability?
There are myriad reasons individuals, teams, and organizations crave more accountability. Some that are listed below may strike close to home. What would you add to the list? What realities are you, your team, or organization faced with right now that heightened levels of accountability would be the ideal prescription?
Increased Competition Commoditization New Technologies Increased Shareholder Demand Pressure to Innovate Shrinking Margins Globalization Talent Wars Economic Downturns Penetrating New Markets Nonstop Change Doing More with Less Regulations/Legislation Expansion Brand/Reputation Management Political Uncertainty
Winning in the New World of Work
For many of the reasons cited above, Beth and her leadership team of nine were always looking for a competitive advantage. So the opportunity to attend a forum with a world-renown authority was a no-brainer. Almost immediately, this guru captivated Beth's team.
He started with passion and energy, "The interplay of unstoppable forces that are creating the 'Perfect Storm' in the deep waters of commerce will sink organizations and individuals that are ill prepared, or that lose focus on what they have identified as most important.
"The white waters of change are unnerving for many. But the fact is they will only become more turbulent. For organizations and employees who are unprepared, the future will be devastating.
"The need for increased levels of personal and organizational accountability has never been higher. And that need will expand daily.
- There are companies and entrepreneurs at this moment looking to reinvent the way your business is done. How many bookstores were wiped out because of Amazon.com? What happened to Kodak? Blockbuster? Sears? Woolworth's? Nokia? Rest assured there are some college students ensconced in a dorm room somewhere about to revolutionize your industry.
- How many jobs have been expunged, teams eliminated, and firms driven to extinction due to ERP, SAP, the Internet, or White-Collar Robots (e.g., Cash Machines). Blue-collar robots came and triumphed. Are you, your team, and your company confident that the value you exhibit outweighs these options? What are you doing to take accountability for your future success?
- MIT's No. 1 computer guru, Michael Dertuzos, said not long ago that India could easily boost its GDP by a trillion dollars in the next few years. How? By performing "backroom" white-collar tasks for Western companies. He estimated that fifty million (white-collar) jobs could be sucked from the West and transplanted to India, at less than half the cost. What are you doing to take accountability to make certain one of those jobs is not yours in the future?
- It took thirty-eight years for the radio to get to fifty million users. The Internet got there in four years. Change is coming at us faster than ever before. There is no time to rest on our success. Success often leads to complacency, and complacency kills. What is your plan to take accountability to keep up with the pace of change?
- In his book, Change or Die: The Three Keys to Change at Work and in Life, Alan Deutschman, cites that only one in nine people will make lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, etc.) after they are told they could prolong their life, restore their health, and even reverse diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease. Even when people know that these relatively simple changes can potentially save their lives, 90 percent choose to not take accountability to do so. Imagine the gargantuan task leaders face in order to create heightened levels of personal accountability for organizational objectives when only 10 percent of people will make simple changes to save their own lives.
- Every job being performed by white-collar workers employed in any corporation is also being performed by someone on the outside that can be hired as a consultant to do the same work, probably with higher quality, and at a lower cost. How are you, or your team taking accountability to make sure you or your department survives in the new world of work?
- Whether individually, as a team, or organizationally if you cannot answer these three questions in a compelling manner, you are in trouble: What is the overt benefit I/we offer? What reasons can I/we point to as to why anyone should believe I/we are the best option? How am I, or are we, dramatically different from all other options?
The speaker paused, surveying his audience before driving home his final point: "Those who will survive and thrive in this new world of work are individuals, teams, and organizations who can maintain high levels of accountability, remain focused, and do whatever it takes to achieve what matters most.
Newbooks Subjects & Qualifier
Dewey Decimal Classfication (DDC)
Adobe-DRM (Digital Rights Management)Systemvoraussetzungen:
Computer (Windows; MacOS X; Linux): Installieren Sie bereits vor dem Download die kostenlose Software Adobe Digital Editions (siehe E-Book Hilfe).
Tablet/Smartphone (Android; iOS): Installieren Sie bereits vor dem Download die kostenlose App Adobe Digital Editions (siehe E-Book Hilfe).
E-Book-Reader: Bookeen, Kobo, Pocketbook, Sony, Tolino u.v.a.m. (nicht Kindle)
Das Dateiformat ePUB ist sehr gut für Romane und Sachbücher geeignet - also für "fließenden" Text ohne komplexes Layout. Bei E-Readern oder Smartphones passt sich der Zeilen- und Seitenumbruch automatisch den kleinen Displays an. Mit Adobe-DRM wird hier ein "harter" Kopierschutz verwendet. Wenn die notwendigen Voraussetzungen nicht vorliegen, können Sie das E-Book leider nicht öffnen. Daher müssen Sie bereits vor dem Download Ihre Lese-Hardware vorbereiten.
Bitte beachten Sie bei der Verwendung der Lese-Software Adobe Digital Editions: wir empfehlen Ihnen unbedingt nach Installation der Lese-Software diese mit Ihrer persönlichen Adobe-ID zu autorisieren!