Cultural Sustainability, Tourism and Development considers how tourism provides a lens to examine issues of cultural sustainability and change. It discusses how cultural and natural assets, artistic interventions, place identity, policy strategies, and community well-being are intertwined in (re)articulations of place and local dynamics that occur in tourist locations.
With a primary focus on culture in sustainable development, the book clarifies connections between culture as a core dimension of local sustainability and cultural dimensions of sustainable tourism. It highlights the roles and place of cultural expression, artistic activity, and heritage resources in local or regional sustainable development contexts. Chapters critically examine the dimensions of tourism-invoked dynamics of change and the cultural impacts of tourism-related activities. The book concludes with proposals for new culture-informed and creativity-based approaches, mediations, and relations to encourage a better balance between visitors and residents' quality of life and the broader sustainability of the area. Interdisciplinary and international in scope, contributions reflect on communities and rural areas located in Brazil, Canada, Croatia, India, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, and the United States.
This book will be of great interest to students and scholars of cultural development and policy, heritage studies, cultural tourism and sustainable tourism, cultural geography, and regional development.
Nancy Duxbury is a senior researcher at the Centre for Social Studies, University of Coimbra, Portugal.
1. Cultural sustainability, tourism, and development: Articulating connections
Part I Relational modes of tourism and culture-informed placemaking dynamics
2. What is the role of responsible tourism in building stronger and intercultural communities? Two case studies from Italy
Pierluigi Musarò and Melissa Moralli
3. Making places through creative tourism?
Part II Artistic interventions for regional revitalization
4. Rural art festival revitalizing a Japanese declining tourism island
Meng Qu and Carolin Funck
5. Bonavista Biennale - Art Encounters on the Edge: Contemporary art in rural Newfoundland
Part III Leveraging culture-based tourism for local development
6. Small growth: Cultural heritage and co-placemaking in Canada's post-resource communities
Heather Campbell and Fergus T. Maclaren
7. Positive and negative effects of cultural tourism development: Changes and dynamics in the Polish region of Podlasie
8. Engaging culture and tourism under international hallmark programmes: Local perspectives and trajectories
Elisabete Caldeira Neto Tomaz
Part IV Generative approaches to cultural stewardship and tourism
9. Casa Grande Foundation: Local tourism and social value - the impact beyond counting
10. Eco-warriors Bishnois for cultural tourism in Rajasthan
11. The dichotomies of local tourism and cultural development in the city of Dubrovnik: issues of (un)sustainability
Ana Zuvela and Ana Portolan
Part V Closing remarks
12. (Re)articulating culture, tourism, community, and place: Closing remarks