This text explores the links between sleep and hormones in women and the implications this has for the reproductive life-cycle. The various stages of menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause are correlated with the sleep disorders likely to be associated and their possible treatments. All professional clinician readers will better understand the problems their patients may develop in relation to this much neglected but highly important aspect of health.
Zippi Dolev, MD, teach residents at Tel-Aviv University and runs a private practice in Reproductive Psychiatry, a specialty that helps women deal with psychiatric conditions relating to specific points in their reproductive life-cycle, such as their menstrual cycle, pregnancy, or menopause. After a degree in medicine from the University of Bologna, Dr Dolev completed her internship and residency in psychiatry at the Ghea Hospital in Israel, followed by a fellowship at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
1. Why do I write about sleep disturbances in women?
2. What actually is sleep?
3. Women and sleep
4. Types of sleep disturbances in women
5. Sleep disorders during the menstrual cycle
6. Sleep disturbances during pregnancy
7. Postpartum sleep disorders
8. Sleep disturbances and menopause
9. Sleep disturbances related to physical diseases
10. Sleep disturbances and mental disorders
11. Treatment of sleep disturbances
12. On women and dreams
13. A few closing words