The upcoming 5G specifications from 3GPP, to be available in 2018, will include LTE-Advanced Pro as well as a new 5G radio-access technology. This practical and very successful book, written by engineers working closely with 3GPP, gives insight into the newest technologies and standards adopted by 3GPP, with detailed explanations of the specific solutions chosen and their implementation in LTE, LTE-Advanced, and LTE-Advanced Pro, as well as providing a detailed description of the path to 5G and the associated underlying technologies.
This edition has been thoroughly revised and updated to reflect the large extensions to LTE as introduced in 3GPP Releases 12 and 13 and the role of LTE in the upcoming 5G era. New to this edition includes updated content on:
- 4G and 5G Radio Access
- Spectrum for 4G and 5G
- Machine-Type Communication
- Device-to-Device Communication
- License-assisted Access
- Full-dimension MIMO
- Small-cell enhancements, eIMTA, FDD+TDD aggregation, dual connectivity
- Requirements on and general structure of 5G wireless access, addressing the existing and new usage scenarios for 5G
- Technical solutions for the new 5G radio-access technology
The authors of this book all work at Ericsson Research and have been deeply involved in 3G and 4G development and standardization. They are leading experts in the field and are today actively contributing to the standardization of 4G and 5G within 3GPP.
- The leading book on 3GPP specifications for LTE, LTE-Advanced, and LTE-Advanced Pro covering up to and including Release 13, written by Ericsson engineers who are heavily involved in the development of 3GPP specifications
- Ten new chapters and coverage of all major features introduced with Release 12 and 13
- Two completely new chapters on 5G wireless access including a detailed description of the key technology components under development by 3GPP