Providing insight into current research, and comprehensive guidance on recent legislation and policy, this key text offers anyone working or preparing to work with children with SEND with essential academic and theoretical understanding to underpin and inform existing and future practice.
Exploring prime areas in which professionals work directly with children with SEND, chapters broach current issues and debates relating to practice, and examine recent advances in research, policy and legislation in areas including education, health and social care. This interdisciplianry approach, coupled with case studies, points for reflection and clearly signposted activities throughout, gives readers the opportunity to develop a thorough understanding of the complexities surrounding SEND and enables them to relate these to their own practice. Packed with practical tips and examples of best practice, topics discussed include:
- approaches to inclusion, integration and segregation
- competing discourses surrounding SEND and their impacts on children, families and professionals
- safeguarding and the voice of the child
- multi-agency work and the changing role of the SEND practitioner
- working in partnership with parents and families
- research and practice in relation to issues such as Autistic Spectrum Disorder, chromosomal and gestational diversity, ADHD and Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities and Difficulties.
Demystifying changes to policy, exploring legislation, and identifying best practice, this invaluable resource will support students, SEND practitioners and professionals to develop and enhance practice with children with SEND.
Trevor Cotterill is Programme Leader for the FdA SEND and the BA (Hons) SEND at the University of Derby, UK.
Chapter one: The SEND Professional
Chapter two: Safeguarding and Child Protection
Chapter three: The Changing Role of the SEND Practitioner
Chapter four: Working with Families in the SEND Context
Chapter five: Inclusivity, Models and Discourses
Chapter six: Introducing Developmental Diversities
Chapter seven: Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities and Difficulties
Chapter eight: Autism Spectrum Disorder
Chapter nine: Attention Disorders (ADD, ADHD)
Chapter ten: Dyslexia
Chapter eleven: Understanding and Managing Speech, Language and Communication Difficulties
Chapter twelve: Chromosomal and Gestational Diversity