Solution Techniques for Elementary Partial Differential Equations, Third Edition remains a top choice for a standard, undergraduate-level course on partial differential equations (PDEs). Making the text even more user-friendly, this third edition covers important and widely used methods for solving PDEs.
New to the Third Edition
- New sections on the series expansion of more general functions, other problems of general second-order linear equations, vibrating string with other types of boundary conditions, and equilibrium temperature in an infinite strip
- Reorganized sections that make it easier for students and professors to navigate the contents
- Rearranged exercises that are now at the end of each section/subsection instead of at the end of the chapter
- New and improved exercises and worked examples
- A brief Mathematica® program for nearly all of the worked examples, showing students how to verify results by computer
This bestselling, highly praised textbook uses a streamlined, direct approach to develop students' competence in solving PDEs. It offers concise, easily understood explanations and worked examples that allow students to see the techniques in action.
Christian Constanda, MS, PhD, DSc, is the Charles W. Oliphant Endowed Chair in Mathematical Sciences and director of the Center for Boundary Integral Methods at the University of Tulsa. He is also an emeritus professor at the University of Strathclyde and chairman of the International Consortium on Integral Methods in Science and Engineering. He is the author/editor of more than 28 books and more than 130 journal papers. His research interests include boundary value problems for elastic plates with transverse shear deformation, direct and indirect integral equation methods for elliptic problems and time-dependent problems, and variational methods in elasticity.