The Routledge Handbook of Africa-Asia Relations is the first handbook aimed at studying the interactions between countries across Africa and Asia in a multi-disciplinary and comprehensive way. Providing a balanced discussion of historical and on-going processes which have both shaped and changed intercontinental relations over time, contributors take a thematic approach to examine the ways in which we can conceptualise these two very different, yet inextricably linked areas of the world.
Using comparative examples throughout, the chronological sections cover:
. Early colonialist contacts between Africa and Asia;
. Modern Asia-Africa interactions through diplomacy, political networks and societal connections;
. Africa-Asia contemporary relations, including increasing economic, security and environmental cooperation.
This handbook grapples with major intellectual questions, defines current research, and projects future agendas of investigation in the field. As such, it will be of great interest to students of African and Asian Politics, as well as researchers and policymakers interested in Asian and African Studies.
Pedro Miguel Amakasu Raposo de Medeiros Carvalho is Assistant Professor at Lisbon School of Economics & Management (ISEG), University of Lisbon.
David Arase is Resident Professor at John Hopkins-Nanjing Center for Chinese and American Studies, USA.
Scarlett Cornelissen is Professor in the Department of Political Science at Stellenbosch University, South Africa.
Part I. Africa and Asia Early Contacts
From early colonialism
1. Africa and Asia diaspora: Reconstructing a Neglected History - Samuel Ojo Oloruntoba and Sabelo J. Ndlovu-Gatsheni
2. Iberian trade and slave connections - Daniel Domigues da Silva
3. Lost and Found: Sovereignties and State Formations in Africa and Asia - Kwame Nimako
4. South Asian Muslims in East Africa - Iqbal S. Akhtar
5. Religion and Development in Africa and Asia - Jörg Haustein and Emma Tomalin
6. Nationalism in Africa and Asia - Christopher J. Lee
Part II. Asia-Africa Modern Interactions Diplomatic and political exchanges
7. The Discourse of Datsu-A Ron: Japan and Africa in the Network of Modern History and Contemporary Politics - Kweku Ampiah
8. The Role of Aid in South Korea's Relations with Africa during the Cold War - Hyo-sook Kim
9. Asia-Africa Political and Diplomatic Interactions: 1970-1990 - Sanjukta Bhattacharya
10. From Bandung to BRICS: Afro-Asian Relations in the 21st Century - Seifudein Adem and Darryl Thomas
11. Africa's rising commodity export dependency on China - Alicia Garcia-Herrero and Carlos Casanova
12. Bridging Asia with Africa: The case of Malaysia - Evelyn S. Devadason and VGR Chandran Govindaraju
13. Navigating the 'One China' Policy: South Africa, Taiwan and China - Yejoo Kim and Ross Anthony
14. Africa-Asia relations in Academic Network Formation - Takuo Iwata
15. Dreaming Afrasia: An Essay on Afro-Asian Relations in Space-Time Perspectives - Yoichi Mine
16. The Role of Islam in Forging Linkages between Africa and Asia from the 1970s: The Case of Islamic Relief and Development Support - Mayke Kaag
17. Civil Society and the Rise of NGOs in Africa and Asia Parallel Trajectories? - David M. Potter
18. Education and Gender in the Global South: Inadequate Policy Environment at the Confluence - Emefa Juliet Takyi-Amoako
Part III. Africa-Asia Contemporary Relations
Economic and development cooperation
19. BRICS in Africa and Human Rights - Ian Taylor
20. Contemporary Sino-Africa Relations - Chun Zhang
21. Asia in Lusophone Africa - Carmen Amado Mendes
22. Africa-Asia Regional Partnerships and South-South Development Cooperation - Annette Skovsted Hansen
23. Asia and Africa and Post 2015 Development Agenda - Shalini Chawla
Security and governance
24. Religions, (In) security in Africa and Asia - Jeffrey Haynes
25. The Land-Water-Food-Energy Nexus: Green and Blue Water Dynamics in Contemporary Africa-Asia Relations - Larry Swatuk
26. Developments in European Union-Africa Relations and their Implications for Asia - Laura C. Ferreira-Pereira and Alena Vysotskaya Vieira
Migration, environment and politics
27. Migration and Global Politics in Africa and Asia: Patterns and Drivers of Change Throughout Time - Pedro Amakasu Raposo Carvalho
28. Asian Stakes In Africa's Natural Resources Industries And Prospects For Sustainable Development - Thomas Feldhoff
29. New Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons - Pablo Shiladitya Bose
Conclusion: Africa-Asia / Asia-Africa Relations: Continuity and Change