This book offers new insights into a largely understudied group of Greek texts preserved in selected manuscripts from the Library at Wellcome Collection, London. The content of these manuscripts ranges from medicine, including theories on diagnosis and treatment of disease, to astronomy, philosophy, and poetry. With texts dating from the ancient era to the Byzantine and Ottoman worlds, each manuscript provides its own unique story, opening a window onto different social and cultural milieus. All chapters are illustrated with black and white and colour figures, highlighting some of the most significant codices in the collection.
Petros Bouras-Vallianatos is Wellcome Lecturer in History of Medicine at The University of Edinburgh.
The Wellcome Greek Collection Petros Bouras-Vallianatos
1. Greek Manuscripts in the Library at Wellcome Collection: Owners and Cataloguers Vivian Nutton
2. The Clinical Method of the Anonymous of Paris Orly Lewis
3. Wellcomensis MS.MSL.14 as a Therapeutic Handbook Barbara Zipser
4. The Language of Iatrosophia: A Case-Study of two Manuscripts of the Library at Wellcome Collection (MS.4103 and MS.MSL.14) Tina Lendari and Io Manolessou
5. Jewish Astronomy in Byzantium: The Case of Wellcomensis MS.498 Anne Tihon
6. Manuel Korinthios' Poems in Wellcomensis MS.498 Maria Tomadaki
7. Greek Renaissance Commentaries on the Organon: The Codex Wellcomensis MS.MSL.1 Nikos Agiotis