Assessment, Restoration and Reclamation of Mining Influenced Soils covers processes operating in the environment as a result of mining activity, including the whole spectra of negative effects of anthropopressure and the environment, from changes in soil chemistry, changes in soil physical properties, geomechanical disturbances, and mine water discharges.
Mining activity and its waste are an environmental concern. Knowledge of the fate of potentially harmful elements and their effect on plants and the food chain, and ultimately on human health, is still being understood. Therefore, there is a need for better knowledge on the origin, distribution, and management of mine waste on a global level.
This book provides information on hazard assessment and remediation of the disturbed environment, including stabilization of contaminated soils and phytoremediation, and will help scientists and public authorities formulate answers to the daily challenges related to the restoration of contaminated land.
- Provides a thorough overview of the processes operating on mining-devastated areas, as well as origin, distribution, and deactivation of harmful elements
- Includes outcomes and recommendations of the Global Mining Initiative that are widely regarded as the code of conduct in the minerals industry
- Contains global case studies that elucidate various aspects of assessment and restoration of mine-contaminated land
1. Classification and environmental impact of mining dumps
2. A multianalytical approach for the assessment of toxic element distribution in soils from mine and quarry areas
3. Hazard assessment of soils and spoils from the Portuguese Iberian Pyrite Belt mining areas and their potential reclamation
4. Mine waste: assessment of environmental contamination and restoration
5. Environmental risk assessment of tailing ponds using geophysical and geochemical techniques
6. Tailings impoundments of Polish copper mining industry-environmental effects, risk assessment and reclamation
7. Assessment and reclamation of soils from uranium mining areas: Case studies from Portugal
8. Reclamation by containment: Polyethylene-based solidification
9. Geochemical barriers for soils protection in mining areas
10. Aspects of reclamation of mining influenced soils in southern European Russia
11. Proposals for remediation of soils affected by mining activities in South-East Spain
12. Reclamation of sites impacted by mining activities. Stabilisation/Solidification of 232Th-contaminated soils
13. Ecoefficient in situ technologies for the remediation of sites affected by old mining activities: the case of Portman Bay, Murcia, Spain
14. Organic mulching to improve soil mining restoration
15. Heavy metals contamination of mine soils, their risk assessment and bioremediation
16. Potential hazards elements accumulation in soils and native plants from areas affected by mining activities in South America
17. Mine water discharges in Upper Silesian Coal Basin (Poland): assessment of impact and management concepts