This book is based on selected papers from keynote and symposium sessions given at the 16th International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST) World Congress, held in Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil August, 2012. The theme of the Congress was the challenges faced by food science in both the developed and developing regions of the world. The symposia featured prominent world-renowned keynote and plenary speakers, young researchers, and the technical sessions covered the whole spectrum of basic and applied food science and technology, including consumer issues and education, diets and health, ethnic foods, and R&D.
Gustavo Barbosa-Cánovas is director of the Center for Non Thermal Processing of Food at Washington State University in Pullman, WA.
Delia B. Rodriguez-Amaya is President of the International Academy of Food Science and Technology.
Gláucia Pastore is Vice President for Research at University of Campinas in São Paulo, Brazil.
Suzana Caetano Da Silva Lannes is a Professor in the Biochemical Pharmaceutical Technology Department at the University of São Paulo in São Paulo, Brazil.
Rickey Yada is Dean of the Faculty of Land and Food Systems at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, CA.
Amauri Rosenthal is a senior researcher in Food Technology and Engineering at Brazilian Corporation for Agricultural Research in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Ken Buckle is a Professor in the Faculty of Engineering, Food Science and Technology at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, AU.
Section 1: Food Security
1) Supporting Country-driven Innovations and Agrifood Value Chains for Poverty and Hunger Reduction
2) Preserving Food after Harvest is an Integral Component of Food Security
Malcolm C. Bourne
3) Microbiological Safety of Fruit and Vegetables in the Field, During Harvest and Packaging: A Global Issue
Santos Garcia and Norma Heredia
4) Ensuring Food Safety in Developing and Developed Countries: Aspects Associated with the Use of Veterinary Drugs in Fish Farming in Brazil
Felix G. R. Reyes, Katia S. D. Nunes
Section 2: Nutrition and Health
5) Functional Dairy Products
Ortiz Y., García-Amézquita L.E., Acosta C.H. and Sepúlveda D.R.
6) Brazilian Native Fruits as a Source of Phenolic Compounds
Neuza Mariko Aymoto Hassimotto and Franco Maria Lajolo
7) Technology and Nutrition Opportunities for Healthful Foods from Morama Beans, an Emerging Crop in Botswana
Jose C. Jackson
8) Advancements in Obtaining and Utilizing Bovine Milk Proteins in Foods and Nutrition
Valdemiro Carlos Sgarbieri
9) Chocolate and Cocoa Products as a Source of Health and Wellness
Suzana Caetano da Silva Lannes
10) Advances on the production and Application of Peptides for Promoting Human Health and Food Security
Chibuike C. Udenigwe, Ifeanyi D. Nwachukwu and Rickey Y. Yada
Section 3: Global Education
11) IUFoST Distance-Assisted Training Program
Daryl Lund and Donald Mercer
12) Food Science and Technology Undergraduate and Graduate and Graduate Curricula in North America
Rickey Y. Yada, Charity Parr-Vasquez and Brian C. Bryksa
13) Food Science and Technology Curricula in Africa: Meeting Africa's New Challenges
Amanda Minnaar, John R.N. Taylor, Steven Haggblade, John David Kabasa, Nelson K. O. Ojijo
Section 4: Food Science
14) Yeasts from Traditional Cheeses for Potential Applications
Seda Karasu Yalcin and Z. Yesim Ozbas
15) Beta-lactoglobulin Fibril Dispersions: Structural and Rheological Characteristics
S. M. Loveday, M. A. Rao and H. Singh
16) Animal Welfare and Meat Quality: Methodologies to Reduce Pre-slaughter Stress in Boiler Chicken
Shimokomaki Massami, Elza I Ida, Adriana L. Soares, Alexandre Oba, Talita Kato, Mayka R. Pedrao, Fabio A.G. Coro and Rafael H. de Carvalho
17) Protein Oxidation in Meat and Meat Products: Challenges for Antioxidative Protection
Sisse Jongberg, Marianne N. Lund and Leif H. Skibsted
18) Religious Slaughter of Animals: International Efforts to Meet This Need Responsibly
Joe M. Regenstein
19) Mitigation of Acrylamide Formation in Highly Consumed Foods
Franco Pedreschi & María Salomé Mariotti
Section 5: Food Engineering
20) Scale-up Issues and Cost of Manufacturing Bioactive Compounds by Supercritical Fluid Extraction and Ultrasound Assisted Extraction
Juliana M. Prado, Priscilla C. Veggi and M. Angela A. Meireles
21) Multiphysics Modelling of Innovative Food processing Technologies
Pablo Juliana and Kai Knoerzer
22) Ultrasound Assisted Freezing of Fruits and Vegetables: Design, Development and Applications
Md. Nahidul Islam , Min Zhang, Benu Adhikari
23) Characterization of Microbial Inactivation by Microwave Heating
Pascale Gadonna-Widehem and Jean-Claude Laguerre