Dilemmas of Regional and Local Development aims to identify, diagnose and evaluate various approaches towards regional and local socio-economic development.
Over the course of the book, authors from 12 countries and four continents come together to review experiences and solutions related to regional development in a range of different economic, social and political systems. The first part of the volume focuses on the fundamentals of planning regional and local development, particularly focusing on theoretical solutions and development policy concepts. The second part is more applied, looking at practical instruments and solutions for shaping the local economy, and analysing effective development policy.
This book will be of interest to economics, geography, politics, and planning scholars and researchers working on regional sciences and local development.
Jerzy Banski is a Professor and Director at the Institute of Geography and Spatial Organization, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland.
Part 1: Development Concepts and Planning
- Redefining the Task of Regional Development in The Fourth Industrial Revolution: Some Australian Perspectives
- Dilemmas for Spatial Planning and Regional Development in Poland: A Review of the Concepts
- The Italian National Strategy for Inner Areas: A Place-Based Approach to Regional Development
Giancarlo Cotella and Elisabetta Vitale Brovarone
- Geographic and Institution Matters in Achieving Sustainable Development in Indonesia
- Regional Development Policy and Practice in Ghana: Past, Present, and Future
- Measures of Regional Development on the Example of Poland
Marcin Mazur and Damian Mazurek
Part 2: Development Challenges and Opportunities
- Medium-Sized Spanish Inland Cities and Regional Development in the Iberian Peninsula: Challenges and Opportunities
Carmen Vázquez-Varela and José M. Martínez-Navarro
- Challenges and Opportunities for Strengthening Local and Regional Economic Development (LRED) in Africa: A Spatial Perspective
- Does History Matter? Development Differences in Poland
Pawel Churski, Barbara Konecka-Szydlowska, Tomasz Herodowicz and Robert Perdal
- Territorial Development in Romania: Regional Disparities
Bianca Mitrica, Ines Grigorescu, Radu Sageata, Irena Mocanu and Monica Dumiträcu
- Pro-Poor Local Economic Development and the Demand for Economic Growth: A Case Study on the Lack of Inclusive Development in South Africa
- Staying Alive by Going Glocal: A Case Study of The Towel-Related Industry Balancing FDI and a Local Industrial Cluster in Shikoku, Japan
- Diagnosis of Demonetization and its Impact Assessment on Regional Development: An Indian Experience
- The Interface between Urbanization and Agriculture in the Urbanizing Arab Community in Israel: Baqa Al-Gharbiyye as a Case Study
Michael Sofer and Noaman Ganayem