Translated for the first time for Chinese readers worldwide, Bellydance Basics: Pure and Simple is a comprehensive yet concise book introducing the fundamentals of bellydancing with easy-to-understand text and video instruction, Quick Study Guides, photos, and music samples. Learn the dance steps and techniques that are the foundation of all traditional and modern bellydance styles.
Bellydance Basics: Pure and Simple is a well-rounded overview of this healthy, captivating art form that is renowned for its wonderful exercise benefits. The author Atéa produced the Bellydance! Magical Motion video/DVD series and is a pioneer in bellydancing video instruction. She's known for her effective and innovative teaching methods for learning how to bellydance. This book includes:
* Instruction of the "Basic 12" Foundation Moves, related steps, and Essential Techniques
* Video instruction and performances
* Quick Study Guides for easy reference to fundamental steps and techniques
* Tips on preparing, practicing, and mastering the dance
* How to dance with veils
* Basic finger cymbal techniques
* Audio samples of bellydancing music
* Summary of major bellydance styles
* Tips to optimize your fitness potential
Relevant URLs are provided for readers to access video and audio content. Readers can also purchase a digital edition to access such content via their reading device that is connected to the Internet.
If you'd like a dance exercise that's fun and an effective way to work out, or if you just enjoy moving to music, try bellydancing. Its moves are natural and intuitive and the music is mesmerizing. It balances your mind, strengthens your body, raises your spirit, and reveals your inner goddess. Whether you're a beginner student or seasoned dancer, let Atéa's bellydance instruction help you experience this beautifully holistic approach to fitness and well-being.
Atéa has dedicated her career to performing and teaching bellydance as a classic and holistic art form. She is the producer and instructor of the Magical Motion(TM) video/DVD collection, a bestselling bellydance instruction series. Her videos were among the very first bellydancing instruction videos to achieve national and international success and helped contribute to the worldwide renaissance we see in bellydancing today.
As a pioneer in bellydance video instruction and an experienced teacher, Atéa developed innovative learning techniques in classic and modern bellydancing styles. Her instruction methods are known for presenting the traditions of authentic bellydance in a contemporary and easy-to-understand format.
Originally from the Midwest where she started her bellydance performance and teaching career, Atéa relocated to Los Angeles. She owned and directed a successful bellydance studio in the West Los Angeles area, teaching students and performers of all levels, including Hollywood celebrities.
She also performed in nightclubs, concerts, and festivals and appeared in nationally and internationally televised shows like "Entertainment Tonight", "E! Entertainment", and England's BBC "The James Whales" show. Working with some of L.A.'s premier bellydancers, she produced instructional and performance bellydance programming for Southern California TV networks.
Atéa and her musician husband, Denis K, compose and arrange world music for dancing, fitness, and yoga. She looks forward to being part of the continuing evolution of dance and music that promotes health and happiness for mind, body, and spirit.
1. What is Bellydance and What Can It Do for You?
2. How to Use This Book
3. Getting Started
4. What to Wear for Practice
5. Warming Up
6. Posture, Stance, and Breathing
7. Arms - Poses and Freestyle Moves
8. Isolation Concept and Fundamental Techniques
Ribcage Lift and Drop (Arch and Contract)
9. The Basic 12 Bellydance Moves - Quick Study Guide
10. Staccato Hip Moves and Dance Demo
(1) Hip Twist
(2) Up and Down Tips
(3) Hip Bump (Hip Thrust)
11. Rolling Hip Moves
(4) Hip Circle - Horizontal Version
(5) Figure 8 Hip Rolls - Horizontal & Vertical
(6) Bicycle Hips (Vertical Hip Circle)
12. Ribcage Circles (Chest Circles)
(7) Vertical Ribcage Circle
(8) Horizontal Ribcage Circle
(9) Diagonal Ribcage Circle (Clock Circle)
13. Arms, Shoulders, and Head
(10) Arm Waves
(11) Shoulder Rotation with Arm Ripple (Snake Arms)
(12) Head Slide
14. More Moves
Walking, Turns, and Spins
15. Applying the Moves to Music
16. Essential Techniques: Movement Transitions and Variations - Quick Study Guide
17. Improvisation and Choreography
18. Introduction to Veil Dancing
19. Introduction to Finger Cymbals
20. Finger Cymbal Patterns - Quick Study Guide
21. Performance Costumes
Sword Dance Demo
23. Floor Work
24. Essential Bellydance Rhythms
25. Bellydance Styles
26. Western Bellydance Styles
American - Classic and Modern
27. Eastern Bellydance (Oriental Dance) Styles
Egyptian (Raks Sharki)
Turkish (Oryantal Dansi)
East Indian - Bollywood
28. Bellydance History
29. Diet and Lifestyle
30. About Atéa