Although mindfulness and meditation have been practiced for millennia, modern neurobiologists and psychologists are only just beginning to understand their full potential for improving physical and emotional well-being. Part of Greenwood's Q&A Health Guides series, Mindfulness and Meditation: Your Questions Answered provides clear, concise information for readers interested in the contemporary practice of, and research behind, mindfulness and meditation. It explores definitions of mindfulness and meditation, offers solutions for successfully incorporating them into our often-chaotic lives, and explains their many practical applications and benefits for practitioners. Each book in this series follows a reader-friendly question-and-answer format that anticipates readers' needs and concerns. Prevalent myths and misconceptions are identified and dispelled, and a collection of case studies illustrates key concepts and issues through relatable stories and insightful recommendations. The book also includes a section on health literacy, equipping teens and young adults with practical tools and strategies for finding, evaluating, and using credible sources of health information both on and off the Internet--important skills that contribute to a lifetime of healthy decision-making.
weitere Ausgaben werden ermittelt
- Half Title
- Series Foreword
- Guide to Health Literacy
- Common Misconceptions about Mindfulness and Meditation
- Questions and Answers
- What Mindfulness Is and What It Is Not
- 1. What is mindfulness?
- 2. Why is mindfulness relevant?
- 3. What is meditation?
- 4. What are reasons to practice?
- 5. Is mindfulness the same as yoga or relaxation?
- 6. What is enlightenment?
- 7. Are there different types of meditation?
- 8. When is focused attention not mindfulness?
- 9. Isnâ??t mindfulness just a fad that will come and go?
- How to Practice Mindfulness
- 10. Can anyone practice?
- 11. How do you practice mindfulness?
- 12. What is a meditation retreat?
- 13. What makes for a good mindfulness teacher?
- 14. Do I need to practice every day, and if so, how long before I see a difference?
- 15. Can I do other things, like listening to music, while I meditate?
- 16. Isnâ??t it better if I use mindfulness time for planning my day and doing things?
- 17. How do I deal with distractions?
- 18. Is it okay if I move around while I meditate?
- 19. What if I am the only one of my friends practicing?
- 20. How do drugs and alcohol impact mindfulness?
- The Historical Origins of Mindfulness
- 21. Is mindfulness a religion?
- 22. Is mindfulness practice compatible with different religions?
- 23. When did mindfulness come to the United States?
- 24. Are there famous people who practice mindfulness?
- Research and Applications
- 25. How is research on mindfulness conducted?
- 26. What does research show about mindfulness and interpersonal relationships?
- 27. What does research show about mindfulness and specific mental disorders?
- 28. Is there any research on the physical health benefits of mindfulness?
- 29. Can mindfulness help in sports?
- 30. Can mindfulness help in academics?
- 31. Can mindfulness help in the business world?
- 32. What does research say about mindful eating?
- Mindfulness and the Modern World
- 33. How does being continually connected to multiple electronic devices impact mindfulness?
- 34. What is the impact of social media on mindfulness?
- 35. Can apps help someone be mindful?
- Case Studies
- Directory of Resources
Dewey Decimal Classfication (DDC)