You?ll learn strategies and tactics that can be used to improve production and efficiency in the propagation of fingerlings in fertilized hatchery ponds. This book covers the production of a variety of fish, as well as shrimp, and provides a framework for a systems approach to management decisionmaking. Chapters present information that can be used to improve ecological efficiencies and the economics of production. Strategies and Tactics for Management of Fertilized Hatchery Ponds explains the systems approach to management. In the future, the most effective hatchery managers will base management decisions on information that is site- and pond-specific. This book provides you with needed information on organic and inorganic fertilizer materials; dynamics of water quality; pond filling schedules; biological control of problem organisms; fingerling production of walleye, striped bass, paddlefish, largemouth bass, and others. Readers find solutions to several common problems and learn about the processes needed to solve others.Chapters help answer questions important to the success and effectiveness of management of fertilized hatchery ponds such as: - What kinds or sources of nutrients should be purchased?
- How much time and water are needed before larvae are stocked?
- What density and age of fish should be stocked?
- How can a satisfactory quality of larvae and environmental variables be achieved so that fish survive stocking and initiate normal feeding and growth?
- Has the initial survival and growth been satisfactory, or should the pond be drawn down and restocked?
- What kind and how much fertilizer should be added to a given pond?This book provides you with information essential for making hatchery ponds as effective and efficient as possible. Whether you?re a fish hatchery manager, student of aquaculture, or agency or academic researcher involved in hatchery management, you will find Strategies and Tactics for Management of Fertilized Hatchery Ponds an indispensable guide for your daily work and studies.
||Taylor & Francis Ltd
Für höhere Schule und Studium
weitere Ausgaben werden ermittelt
ContentsPreface - New Approaches for Management of Fertilized Hatchery Ponds
- Percid Pond Production Techniques: Timing, Enrichment, and Stocking Density Manipulation
- Pond Production of Fingerling Walleye, Stizostedion vitreum(ital), in the Northern Great Plains
- Effects of Fertilization and of Fry Stocking Density on Pond Production of Fingerling Walleye, Stizostedion vitreum(ital)
- Lethal Effects of Elevated pH and Ammonia on Early Life Stages of Hybrid Striped Bass
- Apparent Problems and Potential Solutions for Production of Fingerling Striped Bass, Morone saxatilis(ital)
- Effects of Organic and Chemical Fertilizers and Biological Control of Problem Organisms on Production of Fingerling Striped Bass, Morone saxatilis(ital)
- Effects of Pond Volume Manipulation on Production of Fingerling Largemouth Bass, Micropterus salmoides(ital)
- Comparisons of Two By-Products and a Prepared Diet as Organic Fertilizers on Growth and Survival of Larval Paddlefish, Polyodon spathula,(ital) in Earthen Ponds
- Strategies and Tactics for Larval Culture of Commercially Important Carp
- Liming and Fertilization of Brackishwater Shrimp Ponds
- Water Management to Control Clam Shrimp, Cyzicus morsie,(ital) in Walleye, Stizostedion vitreum,(ital) Production Ponds
- Impact of Predation by Backswimmers in Golden Shiner, Notemigonus crysoleucas, (ital) Production Ponds
- Reference Notes Included
Dewey Decimal Classfication (DDC)