This collection examines the role that foreign aid can play in dealing with the severe global challenge of climate change, one of the most pressing international development issues of the 21st century. Addressing the key threats of rising temperatures, changes in precipitation, coastal erosion and natural disasters, the book considers the implications for policy and future research, particularly in developing countries. Focusing on the worth of foreign aid in ensuring environmental sustainability, this collection consider how it can be used to improve access to sustainable energy, to promote efficient use of energy resources, to improve emission reduction and support the preservation of biodiversity in forests. Advancing our knowledge about foreign aid and climate change, it provides policy recommendations for the donors and recipient country governments. A cutting edge text on one of the most pressing international development issues of this century, this is key reading for all scholars of international development and climate change.
Dr Yongfu Huang is Research Fellow at the World Institute of Development Economics Research of United Nations University (UNU-WIDER). He also serves on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) as Lead Author for its Fifth Assessment Report (AR5), working on 'Cross-cutting finance and investment issues'. His research interests lie in the areas of development finance, green growth, inclusive growth and sustainable development.
Dr Unai Pascual is Ikerbasque Research Professor in environmental economics and policy at the Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3). He is a Senior Visiting Professor at the Department of Land Economy of the University of Cambridge. His research interests include the economics of biodiversity and ecosystem services, natural resource modelling and the interconnectedness of global environmental change and economic development.
2. Foreign Aid for Capacity-building to Address Climate Change
3. Lessons Learnt About Foreign Aid for Climate Change Related Capacity-Building
4. The Effectiveness of Foreign Aid for Sustainable Energy and Climate Change Mitigation
5. A Review of the Nature of Foreign Aid to the Energy Sector over the Last Two Decades
6. An Analysis of the Links between Foreign Aid and Co2 Emissions in Cities
7. Foreign Aid, Urbanization and Green Cities
8. Opportunities and Conditions for Successful Foreign Aid to the Forestry Sector
9. The Evolution, Paradigm Shift and Guidelines for Foreign Aid in Forestry
10. Financing Sustainable Agriculture under Climate Change with a Specific Focus on Foreign Aid
11. Foreign Aid and Sustainable Agriculture in Africa
12. The Global Partnership on Foreign Aid for Sustainable Development