Foreign Churches in St. Petersburg and Their Archives, 1703-1917

 
 
Brill (Verlag)
  • erschienen am 31. Oktober 2007
 
  • Buch
  • |
  • Hardcover
  • |
  • 224 Seiten
978-90-04-16260-0 (ISBN)
 
This book offers studies on the history of foreign churches in St. Petersburg since the founding of the city in 1703 till the Revolution in 1917. Moreover, archivists give detailed overviews and insights in the archives concerned in question.
  • Englisch
  • Leiden
  • |
  • Niederlande
  • Für Beruf und Forschung
  • laminiert
xiv, 226 pp
  • Höhe: 244 mm
  • |
  • Breite: 165 mm
  • |
  • Dicke: 20 mm
  • 567 gr
978-90-04-16260-0 (9789004162600)
9004162607 (9004162607)
weitere Ausgaben werden ermittelt
Pieter N. Holtrop holds a doctorate in Church History (VU University Amsterdam, 1975) and is currently Professor of Religious Studies at Sodertorn Hogskola in Stockholm. He has published extensively on mission history in Indonesia and the history of the Reformed Dutch Church in St. Petersburg, 1703-1917. C. Hendrik Slechte studied history at the University of Utrecht and is a free-lance writer. In 2002 he organized the exhibition 'The Dutch Church in St. Petersburg' in the building of the former Dutch Church at 20 Nevsky Prospekt. In 2003 he was co-organizer of the conference 'The History of Foreign Churches in St. Petersburg and Their Archives, 1703-1927'.
List of Illustrations Preface Foreign Churches along the Nevski Prospekt: An Introduction, P.N. Holtrop & C.H. Slechte 1. Three Hundred Years of European Integration and Relations between Churches in St. Petersburg, Archpriest V. Fedorov 2. Economic Relations between Western Europe and Russia, 1600-1800, J.W. Veluwenkamp 3. Swedish Churches in Russia and Their Historical Sources, E. Norberg 4. The Swedish Congregation of St. Petersburg: "Ett Tempel till Dyrkande af All Werldens Gud", B. Jangfeldt 5. Dutch and Reformed in St. Petersburg, P.N. Holtrop 6. The Lost Battle of the Last Chairman: Francois Schmitt and the Decline of the Dutch Reformed Community in St. Petersburg, 1920-27, Th.J.S. van Staalduine 7. The Anglican Church in St. Petersburg, K. Rundell 8. The Communications Network of Halle Pietists in Russia, M. Fundaminski 9. Herrnhut and Russia: Archival Records on Moravian Activity in Russia from the Unity Archives in Herrnhut, Germany, P.M. Peucker 10. The History of Expatriate Estonians in the Registers of St. Mary's in Tomsk, A. Must 11. Historical Sources on Foreign Churches in the Central State Historical Archive of St. Petersburg, V.M. Shishkin 12. The Department for Spiritual Affairs of Foreign Confessions in the Ministry of the Interior, A.R. Sokolov 13. Sources on the History of Lutheran Churches in Russia in the Collections of the Russian State Historical Archive in St. Petersburg, T.I. Tatsenko & E.E. Knyazeva 14. Historical Sources on the Evangelical-Lutheran Churches of North-West Russia in the Central State Archive of St. Petersburg, M.V. Shkarovskii 15. Traces of the History of Estonian Churches in Russian Archives, T. Magi 16. Collections of the Roman Catholic and Uniate Spiritual Institutions in the Russian State Historical Archive in St. Petersburg, N.S. Krylov Index of Names
"Never before has there been a study of the Dutch, Swedish, Anglican, Moravian, Estonian, Roman Catholic and Uniate Churches of St. Petersburg. [...] "Now, at last, the story can be told of a unique chapter in ecumenical history". Michael Bordeaux, Keston Institute, Oxford. In: The Journal of Ecclesiastical History, Vol. 60, No. 3 (July 2009).
Walking the first mile of the Nevsky Prospekt in St. Petersburg, the visitor is struck by the sight of the Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, German, Armenian Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, and Roman Catholic churches. These buildings reflect the religious, cultural, and social diversity that has been characteristic of the city since Tsar Peter the Great invited thousands of foreigners from all over Western Europe to build this settlement at the estuary of the Neva River. On the occasion of the third centenary of St. Petersburg (2003), historians and archivists from Russia as well as other European countries convened to study the history of the city's foreign churches in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The resulting studies, published here, offer fascinating insights into the almost forgotten history of those churches and show how substantially they contributed to the religious, cultural, social, and economic history of St. Petersburg.

Contributors include: Archpriest V. Fedorov, M. Fundaminski, P.N. Holtrop, B. Jangfeldt, E.E. Knyazeva, N.S. Krylov, T. Mägi, A. Must, E. Norberg, P.M. Peucker, K. Rundell, V.M. Shishkin, C.H. Slechte, A.R. Sokolov, Th.J.S. van Staalduine, T.I. Tatsenko, J.W. Veluwenkamp, and M.V. Shkarovskii.

Versand in 10-20 Tagen

143,30 €
inkl. 7% MwSt.
in den Warenkorb

Abholung vor Ort? Sehr gerne!
Unsere Web-Seiten verwenden Cookies. Mit der Nutzung dieser Web-Seiten erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden. Mehr Informationen finden Sie in unserem Datenschutzhinweis. Ok