Prevent victimization of sexual minority women by raising your awareness level!
Trauma, Stress, and Resilience Among Sexual Minority Women: Rising Like the Phoenix is the first resource to examine trauma, violence, and stress as experienced by lesbian and bisexual women. You'll gain a better understanding of the stressors that these women experience, including the cultural/social trauma of living with homophobia and heterosexism as well as the individual traumas of verbal, physical, and sexual abuse. This book contains never-before-seen data that investigates the prevalence, impact, and meaning of traumatic experiences in the lives of sexual minority women.
In Trauma, Stress, and Resilience Among Sexual Minority Women, top researchers use direct quotes and case examples to illustrate and personalize the emotional strain these women endure. Furthermore, they address constructive individual and community responses that promote resilience and healing. The information and strategies contained in this book will help sexual minority women, as well as the practitioners who serve them, understand and heal from the impact of individual and cultural trauma.
This book will increase your knowledge of: - developmental issues facing lesbian and bisexual youths - the impact of sexual abuse history on the ?coming out? process - ethnic/racial differences in trauma among lesbian and bisexual women - the prevalence and impact of traumatic experience among HIV+ lesbian and bisexual women - the unique stressors facing African-American lesbians?and how they cope - organized religion's approaches to homosexuality and how this impacts lesbian and bisexual women Trauma, Stress, and Resilience Among Sexual Minority Women also shows how data on same-sex domestic violence and hate crimes can be gathered and used as a tool for social and political advocacy, bringing about positive changes that can improve the lives of many lesbian and bisexual women. This book is insightful reading for mental health, health, and social service professionals working with lesbian and bisexual clients or patients, and activists and individuals who work for organizations that serve the gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender communities.
weitere Ausgaben werden ermittelt
- Trauma, Stress, and Resilience Among Sexual Minority Women: Rising Like the Phoenix
- Lesbian and Bisexual Female Youths Aged 14 to 21: Developmental Challenges and Victimization Experiences
- Sexual Abuse in Lesbian and Bisexual Young Women: Associations with Emotional/Behavioral Difficulties, Feelings About Sexuality, and the ?Coming Out? Process
- Abuse, Social Support, and Depression Among HIV-Positive Heterosexual, Bisexual, and Lesbian Women
- Lesbian and Bisexual Women's Experiences of Victimization: Mental Health, Revictimization, and Sexual Identity Development
- Triple Jeopardy and Beyond: Multiple Minority Stress and Resilience Among Black Lesbians
- Cast into the Wilderness: The Impact of Institutionalized Religion on Lesbians
- Community Interventions Concerning Homophobic Violence and Partner Violence Against Lesbians
- Reference Notes Included
"Valuable...This book supports and validates what clinicians and community activists, based on their experience, have long held to be true--that lesbians and bisexual women of color are indeed subjected to triple jeopardy."
Dewey Decimal Classfication (DDC)